1. The government of Uttar Pradesh designated four villages in the district near the Nepal border as revenue villages.
● Dinesh Chandra Singh, the District Magistrate of Bahraich, stated the decision was made before the announcement of the general elections to the UP Legislative Assembly.
● Bhavanipur, Tedhia, Dhakia, and Bichhia are four villages in the district's Mihinpurwa tehsil.
● All of these settlements are Vantangiya settlements.
● The Vantangiya' group is made up of people who were recruited from Myanmar to grow trees during colonial control.
● In these four settlements, there are approximately 225 families with a total population of roughly 1,500 people.
● A revenue village is a tiny administrative area with clearly defined boundaries.
● Many hamlets can be included in a single revenue village.
● A revenue village's administrative official is the village's chief.
● The citizens of these communities will now be able to take advantage of all of the government's programmes.
2. RBL Bank and Google have formed a strategic partnership to help the bank achieve its customer experience goals.
● Through the digital platform Abacus 2.0, the bank will enhance its value proposition to suit its fast rising customer base.
● It will improve client data management and analytics, allowing the Bank's enormous customer base to benefit from effective cross-selling.
● RBL Bank has over 4 million retail asset and liability customers in the city.
● This partnership will improve client data management and analytics, allowing for successful cross-selling within the Bank's enormous customer base and, as a result, lowering customer acquisition costs dramatically.
● The Bank hopes to give a superior and holistic one-stop solution to its existing and prospective customers through Abacus 2.0, allowing it to provide its many product offerings across channels in a seamless manner.
3. Deposits in bank accounts opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) initiative have surpassed Rs 1.5 lakh crore, according to the finance ministry.
● As of December 31, 2021, the total balance in accounts under the Jan Dhan scheme was Rs 1,50,939.36 crore.
● According to the data, over 44.23 crore accounts have been opened as part of the scheme.
● The public sector banks opened 34.9 crore accounts, regional rural banks opened 8.05 crore accounts, and private sector banks opened 1.28 crore accounts.
● Under this initiative, RuPay Debit Cards were provided to 31.28 crore PMJDY beneficiaries.
4. The Chennai International Airport is one of the world's top ten large international airports for 'on-time' departures.
● The airport was placed 8th for 'on-time performance' in a review undertaken by Cirium, an organization that specializes in providing aviation data to the tourism, finance, aerospace, and aviation industries.
● According to the latest traffic numbers from Chennai Airport, domestic traffic has recovered by 80%.
● It is India's sixth busiest airport.
● Aside from that, Chennai International Airport is the only Indian airport in the top ten.
● Miami Airport in the United States, Fukuoka Airport in Japan, and Haneda Airport in Japan have taken the top three spots.
5. The National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) convened its 19th meeting under the supervision of Bhupender Yadav, the Union Minister for Environment, Forests, and Climate Change.
● In India, there are currently 51 Tiger Reserves, and more than 35 rivers originate from those areas, all of which are critical for water security.
● The environment minister unveiled an action plan for the restoration, protection, and conservation of India's seven principal big cats, including the cheetah, which has been declared extinct in the country since independence.
● In the following five years, 50 of these huge cats will be put into various parks as part of the action plan.
● He revealed that 14 tiger reserves in India have been awarded the global Conservation Assured Tiger Standards (CA|TS) accreditation.
● He emphasised the importance of NTCA meetings in the first week of April, August, and December each year.
6. The renaming of the Kevadiya railway station in Gujarat's Narmada district as Ekta Nagar has been accepted by the Ministry of Railways.
● The Vadodara division includes the Kevadiya railway station, which is home to the Statue of Unity.
● Ekta Nagar railway station's station code will be EKNR.
● The station's numerical code will be 08224620.
● Tourists visiting Gujarat's "Statue of Unity," the world's tallest statue, will be able to learn about the state's rich cultural past at the Kevadiya railway station, according to the Ministry of Railways.
● The Vadodara Division of Western Railways received a first-of-its-kind contract in the Indian Railways network for the establishment of an Art Gallery with a Souvenir shop at Gujarat's Kevadiya Railway station under the public-private partnership (PPP) programme.
7. Ratan Tata's authorised biography, titled 'Ratan N. Tata: The Authorized Biography,' is planned to be released in November 2022 by Tata Sons emeritus Chairman, experienced industrialist, and philanthropist Ratan Tata.
● Dr. Thomas Matthew, a former senior official and retired IAS officer, wrote the biography.
● HarperCollins will publish the book.
● The 84-year-old Ratan Tata's youth, college years, and early influences, among other things, are chronicled in the book.
8. Urjit Patel, a former Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), has been appointed as Vice President of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) for a three-year term.
● He will be one of the AIIB's five Vice Presidents.
● From February 2022, he is likely to assume command.
● He will take over for outgoing Vice President D J Pandian, who is responsible for the AIIB's sovereign and non-sovereign lending in South Asia, the Pacific Islands, and Southeast Asia.
9. The World Crafts Council International awarded the Kerala Arts and Crafts Village Organization (KACV) from Kovalam, Kerala, the 'International Craft Award for 2021' for the greatest craft village in the world.
● It was India's only award in the non-individual category.
● The Uralungal Labour Contract Cooperative Society (UL CCS) founded the KACV for the Kerala State Tourism Department.
● Malaysia's 'Kraf Komuniti Ku' earned the Village of the Year title in 2021.
● Craft Icon of the Year : Chandramali Liyangane of the National Crafts Council, Sri Lanka.
● Sustainable Development & Social Inclusion in the Handicrafts Sector : Malaysian Prison Department
● Craft Persons of the Year : Shahrbanoo Arabian (Iran) and Dalavayi Kullayappa (India)
● Craft Designers of the Year : Zohra Said (Morocco) and Ismario Ismael (Mexico)
● Next Generation Craft Designers of the year : Qiling Zhang (China) and Mubin Khatri (India)
● The Master Artisans : Amita Sachdeva (India) and Mubarik Khatri (India)
10. The Golden Globe Awards ceremony in 2022 was conducted to honour achievement in American and international film, as well as American television.
● The annual ceremony, now in its 79th year, honoured the best in American television and film in 2021, as determined by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
● With three trophies each, two of the films, The Power of the Dog and West Side Story, took home the most.
List of winners in the Motion Picture category:
● Best Film (Drama) : The Power of the Dog
● Best Film (Musical or Comedy) : West Side Story
● Best Actor (Drama) : Will Smith for King Richard as Richard Williams
● Best Actress (Drama) : Nicole Kidman for Being the Ricardos as Lucille Ball
● Best Actor (Musical or Comedy) : Andrew Garfield for tick, tick…BOOM! as Jonathan Larson
● Best Actress (Musical or Comedy) : Rachel Zegler for West Side Story as María Vasquez
● Best Supporting Actor : Kodi Smit-McPhee for The Power of the Dog as Peter Gordon
● Best Supporting Actress : Ariana DeBose for West Side Story as Anita
● Best Director : Jane Campion for The Power of the Dog
● Best Screenplay : Kenneth Branagh for Belfast
● Best Original Score : Hans Zimmer for Dune
● Best Original Song : “No Time to Die” (Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell) – No Time to Die
● Best Animated Feature : Encanto
● Best Non-English Film : Drive My Car (Japan)
11. This year's National Human Trafficking Awareness Day will be held on January 11, 2022.
● The goal of the day is to raise awareness about the condition of human trafficking victims, as well as to promote and safeguard their rights.
● Despite the fact that the entire month of January has been designated as National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month, this day is dedicated to raising awareness and preventing the criminal practise.
● The resolution designating January 11th as National Human Trafficking Awareness Day was adopted by the United States Senate in 2007.
● President Barack Obama devoted the entire month of January 2010 to raising awareness about human trafficking and preventing it.
● There are now over 50 established organisations fighting this illegal practise around the world, and more awareness has been created than ever before.
12. Marilyn Bergman, an Academy Award, Emmy Award, and Grammy Award-winning American lyricist and songwriter, has died.
● Bergman cooperated on songwriting with her husband, Alan Bergman.
● The well-known song-writing pair composed music and words for a number of well-known television shows, films, and stage musicals.
● They were nominated for the Academy Awards 16 times and won three of them.
13. Bharath Subramaniyam of Tamil Nadu has become India's 73rd Grandmaster in chess.
● At an event in Cattolica, Italy, he earned his third and final Grandmaster norm.
● He finished eighth in the event with 6.5 points from nine rounds and four others.
● He earned his third GM norm and surpassed the requisite 2,500 (Elo) threshold here.
Recent Indian Chess Grandmasters:
● 70th: Raja Rithvik (Telangana)
● 71st: Sankalp Gupta (Maharashtra)
● 72nd: Mitrabha Guha (West Bengal)
14. Gael Monfils of France defeated Karen Khachanov of Russia in the men's singles tournament of the 2022 Adelaide International 1 to win his 11th ATP championship.
● In the women's event, world number one Ashleigh Barty defeated Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina to earn her second Adelaide International championship.
● The 2022 Adelaide International 1 was a tournament that featured both ATP Tour 250 and WTA 500 players.
List of winners
● Men’s single: Gaël Monfils (France)
● Women’s single: Ashleigh Barty (Australia)
● Men’s doubles: Rohan Bopanna and Ramkumar Ramanathan (India)
● Women’s double: Ashleigh Barty and Storm Sanders (Australia)