1. PNB has started the '6S Campaign' as part of a consumer outreach effort to provide financial services at a discounted rate throughout the festival season.
● Swabhiman, Samruddhi, Sampark and Shikhar, Sankalp and Swagat are some of the programmes included in the '6S Campaign.'
● The goal is to launch a specific awareness campaign to promote the development of financial services in the country, as well as to increase credit growth, boost social security plan penetration, and push for digital banking.
2. Telangana has begun a nine-day floral festival.
● The Bathukamma festival, which takes place during Durga Navratri in Telangana, began with much fanfare, with women dressed in traditional attire and colourful processions.
● The Bathukamma festival begins on Mahalaya Amavasya and lasts for nine days, ending on Durgashtami.
3. Jyotiraditya M. Scindia, Union Minister of Civil Aviation, has kicked off the Doon Drone Mela 2021 in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
● The Minister kicked off the event with a paragliding demonstration and met with drone companies that were displaying prototypes at the Doon Drone Mela.
● Drone & Aerosports Demonstrations included a paragliding demonstration by the Border Security Force, a paramotor display by Harsh Sachan, and an agriculture spraying drone demonstration by IoTechWorld Aviation & Daksha on the same day.
4. The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has chosen to give David Card (University of California, Berkeley, USA) half of the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2021.
● "For their methodological contributions to the investigation of causal links," Joshua Angrist (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA) and Guido Imbens (Stanford University, USA) shared the other half.
● The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden, awards the Prize in Economic Sciences according to the same principles as the Nobel Prizes, which have been granted since 1901.
5. B Gopal, alias Bejawada Gopal, a well-known Telugu director, has won the fourth Satyajit Ray Award for his overall contribution to Indian cinema.
● Gopal has directed 30 Telugu films as well as two Hindi films.
● A jury of Malayalam filmmaker Balu Kiriyath, music director Perumbavoor G Raveendranath, and others chose him.
● The Satyajit Ray Film Society Kerala, a state-based organisation, established the award, which includes a monetary prize of Rs 10,000, a memento, and a plaque.
6. The Astronautical Society of India (ASI) has awarded Secretary DDR&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy the coveted Aryabhata Award for his remarkable lifetime contribution to the growth of astronautics in India.
● Dr. Reddy is a pioneer in advanced avionics, navigation, and missile technology research and development.
● Dr. Reddy has made significant contributions to strategic and tactical missile systems, as well as assisting the country in becoming self-sufficient in essential defence technologies.
● He is an institution builder who has put in place procedures to ensure a stable defence development and manufacturing ecosystem.
7. For his novel "Manthalirile 20 Communist Varshangal," well-known Malayalam writer Benyamin won the 45th Vayalar Ramavarma Memorial Literary Award.
● The Vayalar Ramavarma Memorial Trust established the coveted award, which includes a monetary reward of Rs 1 lakh, a sculpture designed by renowned sculptor Kanayi Kunhiraman, and a citation.
● The novel is a political satire about a nondescript village called Manthalir and the influence of religion and politics on its culture over the course of two decades.
● An experienced team of writers K R Meera, George Onakkoor, and C Unnikrishnan chose it for recognition.
8. Since 2012, the International Day of the Girl Child (also known as the Day of Girls or the International Day of Girls) has been observed on October 11 every year.
● The United Nations proclaimed this annual observance day to raise awareness of issues affecting girls around the world, including education, nutrition, child marriage, and legal and medical rights.
● “Digital generation. Our generation” is the theme for the International Day of the Girl Child in 2021.
9. The National Postal Day is observed in India every year on October 10th, as a continuation of World Post Day, which is observed on October 9th.
● The purpose of the day is to honour the 150-year history of the Indian postal service, which was started in 1854 by Lord Dalhousie.
● India's postal service is a vital element of the country.
● Despite the diversity of culture, history, and tough geographical terrains, India's postal systems have performed well.
10. Every year on October 10th, the world commemorates World Mental Health Day to promote worldwide mental health education, awareness, and activism against social stigma.
● The overall goal of World Mental Health Day is to raise global awareness of mental health issues and organise support for mental health initiatives.
● ‘Mental health in an unequal world' is the topic for World Mental Health Day 2021.
● The World Federation for Mental Health initially commemorated World Mental Health Day on October 10, 1992, as an annual activity.
● The Day allows all stakeholders working on mental health issues to discuss their work and what more needs to be done to make mental health care a reality for people all around the world.
11. Abolhassan Banisadr, Iran's first president following the 1979 Islamic Revolution, died after being impeached for questioning the clerics' growing influence as the country became a theocracy.
● Banisadr was elected president in 1980 but was impeached 16 months later for questioning the growing power of clerics.
● Banisadr later served as Iran's minister of economy and foreign affairs before becoming president with the support of the Islamic clerics.
● From the start, he faced enormous challenges, including the US embassy hostage situation, the Iran-Iraq war, and, most importantly, the hostility of fundamentalist clergy.
12. Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, known as the "Father of Pakistan's Nuclear Bomb," died recently.
● Dr. Khan, an atomic scientist, was hailed as a national hero for helping Pakistan become the world's first Islamic nuclear power and for his contributions to improving the country's defence capabilities.