1. During an occasion at AIIMS Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated 35 Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) Oxygen Plants to the nation via video conferencing.
● Under PM CARES, 35 PSA Oxygen Plants have been established in 35 states and union territories.
● PSA Oxygen Plants will now be operational in all of the country's districts.
● According to the data, a total of 1,224 PSA oxygen plants have been sponsored through the PM-CARES (Prime Minister's Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations) fund around the country, with more than 1,100 plants already operational and producing over 1,750 MT oxygen per day.
2. The Reserve Bank of India's (RBI) Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), chaired by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, held the repo rate steady in its fourth bi-monthly policy meeting for the financial year 2021-22.
● The meeting took place between October and November (6 to 8).
● The remaining events will be held in December (6–8) and February (7 to 9, 2022).
The Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate and bank rates remain unchanged:
● Policy Repo Rate: 4.00%
● Reverse Repo Rate: 3.35%
● Marginal Standing Facility Rate: 4.25%
● Bank Rate: 4.25%
● CRR: 4%
● SLR: 18.00%
RBI Monetary Policy Highlights & Key Decisions:
● FY22 GDP growth forecast maintained at 9.5%.
● CPI inflation is projected at 5.3% for the current fiscal year.
● Bond purchases under G-SAP stopped.
● Open market operations to continue as needed.
● Internal ombudsman plan for non-bank lenders.
● On-tap special LTRO of 3 years worth Rs 10,000 crore for small businesses extended till Dec 31.
● Framework planned for retail digital payments in offline mode.
● Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) limited upped from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 5 lakh
● No compulsion for banks to park money in variable reverse repo rate (VRRR).
3. Nearly 60 years after it was nationalised, the Tata Group, the forerunner of Air India, recaptured it.
● For the government's 100 percent share in Air India, Tata Sons offered $180 billion.
● The government wants to sell its entire investment in the state-owned national carrier, including Air India's 100% stake in AI Express Ltd and 50% stake in Air India SATS Airport Services Private Ltd.
● JRD The airline was formed by Tata in October 1932 and was known as Tata Airlines at the time.
● After 68 years, Air India has returned to the Tata group.
● The airline was nationalised by the government in 1953.
● The airline will return to the Tatas, who have a long connection with the national carrier.
4. The "Buddhist Circuit Train FAM Tour" has started from Safdarjung railway station, according to Union Minister of State for Tourism Ajay Bhatt (part of Delhi Suburban Railways).
● The Buddhist Circuit Train FAM Tour was organised by the Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with the Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) as part of the Union government's "Dekho Apna Desh" campaign.
● At Bodhgaya and Varanasi, the journey will include visits to important Buddhist sites as well as conferences.
● Around 125 people are expected to participate, including tour operators, hoteliers, journalists, and officials from the Ministry of Tourism and state governments
5. "Economist Gandhi: The Roots and Relevance of the Mahatma's Political Economy," written by Indian entrepreneur and writer Jaithirth Rao, also known as Jerry Rao, is a book on Mahatma Gandhi.
● Jaithirth Rao is the founder and former CEO of Mphasis, a software firm.
● Mahatma Gandhi's economic theory and his hidden component personality—thoughts on economics and capitalism—are examined in this book. Penguin Random House India is the publisher of the
6. P L Haranadh, a 1994 batch Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS) officer, has been named the new Chairman of the Paradip Port Trust (PPT).
● During his 27 years of service, Haranadh has held different positions, including 22 years with the Indian Railways and 5 years with the Ministry of Shipping.
● The Paradip Port Trust (PPT) is Odisha's only significant port.
7. The Ordnance Directorate's first Director-General, E.R. Sheikh has taken over (Coordination and Services). It is the Ordnance Factory Board's successor entity (OFB).
● At the Ordnance Factory Varangaon, he helped to build a modern production line system for the manufacture of small weapons ammunition.
● He oversaw the invention of the Bi-Modular Charge System for artillery ammunition, which was a huge success.
8. India's ranking on the Henley Passport Index 2021, which ranks the world's most travel-friendly passports, has dropped six places from last year to 90.
● On the passport index, Japan and Singapore are ranked first and second, respectively.
● There are 227 destinations and 199 passports included in the index.
● After nearly two years following the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, countries are reducing travel restrictions for overseas tourists, according to the index.
● Data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) was used to compile the rankings.
Top 5 countries in the Index:
● Rank 1: Japan, Singapore
● Rank 2: Germany, South Korea
● Rank 3: Finland, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain
● Rank 4: Austria, Denmark
● Rank 5: France, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden
World’s 5 least powerful passports:
9. Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), has topped the Forbes India Rich List for 2021.
● The top 100 richest Indians are listed in this list.
● Since 2008, he has been the wealthiest Indian for the 14th year in a row, according to the Forbes India list.
● In 2021, the businessman increased his net worth by $4 billion, bringing his total fortune to $92.7 billion.
● With a net worth of $74.8 billion, Adani Group Chairman Gautam Adani has kept his second place.
● Shiv Nadar, a tech tycoon with a net worth of $31 billion, came in third.
10. Maria Ressa and Dmitry Muratov will receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 2021, according to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, "for their efforts to defend freedom of expression, which is a foundation for democracy and sustainable peace."
● Maria Ressa uses her right to free speech to expose abuses of power, the use of violence, and the rise of authoritarianism in her native Philippines.
● Dmitry Muratov has fought for freedom of speech in Russia for decades, despite increasingly difficult circumstances.
11. The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority has awarded Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB), which is sponsored by Canara Bank, two national awards ('APY Big Believers' and 'Leadership Capital') for considerable enrolment under the Atal Pension Yojana (APY) (PFRDA).
● PFRDA Chairman Supratim Bandopadhyay presented prizes to KVGB Chairman P. Gopi Krishna.
12. The International Hockey Federation (FIH) declared that Indian hockey players swept the FIH Stars Awards for 2020-21.
● National associations, represented by their respective national captains and coaches, players, media, and hockey fans voted in an online poll held from August 23 to September 15 to determine the winners.
FIH Stars Awards 2020-21:
● Player of the Year: Harmanpreet Singh (men) and Gurjit Kaur (women)
● Goalkeeper of the Year: PR Sreejesh (men) and Savita Punia (women)
● Rising Star of the Year: Vivek Sagar Prasad (men) and Sharmila Devi (women)
● Coach of the Year: Graham Reid (men) and Sjoerd Marijne (women)
13. The Indian Air Force commemorates Indian Air Force Day every year on October 8th.
● This year marks the 89th anniversary of the Indian Air Force.
● The Royal Indian Air Force was founded by the British Empire on October 8, 1932, as the Indian Air Force.
● In 1950, the name was changed to Indian Air Force.
● The IAF was established on October 8, 1932, and has since taken part in a number of important conflicts and missions.
● It was founded as an auxiliary air force of the British Empire, which gave the prefix Royal to India's aviation service during World War II.
14. Since 1996, World Egg Day has been observed on the second Friday of October every year.
● This year's World Egg Day will be held on Friday, October 8th, and will be the event's 25th anniversary.
● The egg's remarkable adaptability and myriad of advantages to humans at all stages of life will be the focus of the 2021 celebration.
● "Eggs for all: Nature's perfect package" is the theme for World Egg Day in 2021.
● The first World Egg Day was held in Vienna in 1996, when it was decided to honour the egg's strength on the second Friday of October each year.
● The day raises awareness of the importance of eggs in the human diet and their health benefits.